Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Racism...unfortunately it's still around

On December 24, I was (starting) my Christmas shopping. I had gathered my items and headed to the check-out. Most of the lines were long so I joined what appeared to be the shortest. After a while,  I was almost up. There was a women in front of me and the couple checking out. The lady in front of me seemed disgruntled. I did not blame her...who does enjoy shopping on Christmas Eve day? Just as the couple at the front of the line was paying (all their items in plastic bags and ready to go) the register next to the line I was in opened up. The women in front of me said I could go ahead. I asked her if she was sure. She said, "Yes, I don't want her touching my stuff" and she promptly left line to go to the now open register right next to us. The cashier of the line I was in happened to be black.  

In hindsight, I wish I would have spoken up but instead I simply gave the lady a dirty look. I thought to myself, "are you serious?!" It deeply bothers me and highly disturbs me that someone can be so rude because of someone's race. Regardless of the fact it was the day before Christmas, bigotry is never acceptable. My only hope is that my generation and those after us can be more accepting than  those that came before us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment